Thursday, January 18, 2018

PRIDE POISONS THE WELL





We love to think that we are morally superior and deserving. However, this attitude will create distance between ourselves and God, who wants us to understand that He alone is the Savior, and that any good thing we receive comes as a gift and not a deserved wage.

Simon the Magician thought that a payment would entitle him to a gift from God. He had wanted the power that he observed coming from the Apostles John and Peter. They were able to lay their hands on people who would then receive the gift of the Holy Spirit. However, Peter was horrified by Simon's offer to buy this gift:

  • Now when Simon saw that the Spirit was given through the laying on of the apostles' hands, he offered them money, saying, "Give me this power also, so that anyone on whom I lay my hands may receive the Holy Spirit." But Peter said to him, "May your silver perish with you, because you thought you could obtain the gift of God with money! You have neither part nor lot in this matter, for your heart is not right before God. Repent, therefore, of this wickedness of yours, and pray to the Lord that, if possible, the intent of your heart may be forgiven you. For I see that you are in the gall of bitterness and in the bond of iniquity." (Acts 8:18-23 ESV)

The belief that we can purchase or earn anything from God is abhorrent to Him (Romans 11:35; Luke 17:10). Peter therefore told Simon to repent of this belief, this attitude of heart.

Let me try to illustrate the problem. If you give me a beautiful painting that you have painted, but then I take credit for painting it, you will be deeply offended. If I refuse to humble myself to confess my sin, it might be the end of our friendship.

If we believe that we have earned or purchased what God has given us as a gift, this belief will offend God. Consequently, I have learned to give God the thanks for all the good that comes into my life.

The Apostle Paul even thanked God for his hard labors:

  • But by the grace of God I am what I am, and his grace toward me was not in vain. On the contrary, I worked harder than any of them, though it was not I, but the grace of God that is with me. (1 Corinthians 15:10)

But don't we reap what we sow? Certainly, but we sow by the grace of God. When we understand this, we then understand that we cannot take credit for the blessings we reap. Why not? Because they too a part of the gift of God!

Understanding that good things come to us by the grace of God and not because we deserve them is essential. To believe that we are deserving of the gift is to alienate the gift-Giver. It is also prideful, not thankful. And pride will poison the well.

No comments: