Thursday, January 18, 2018

THE ILLUSION OF CONTROL AND SELF-SUFFICIENCY







“Now these things happened unto them [the Israelites] by way of example; and they were written for our admonition, upon whom the ends of the ages are come. Wherefore let him that thinketh he standeth take heed lest he fall. There hath no temptation taken you but such as man can bear [or "as is common to man"]: but God is faithful, who will not suffer you to be tempted above that ye are able; but will with the temptation make also the way of escape, that ye may be able to endure it. Wherefore, my beloved, flee from idolatry.” (1 Corinthians 10:11-14 ASV)

The Israelites thought they could stand, so much so that they disregarded the Word of God, fell into sin, and reaped the painful consequences.

Nor must I begin to think that I can stand on my own two feet. Instead, my standing requires the hand of my Lord. So that I will not begin to think that I am in control, He sends me reality-checks - temptations - to show me my utter need of Him.

These teach me that I am not an independent operator, but am a needy dependent, but also a beloved partner in  holy relationship.

I cannot even see the answers to my dilemmas apart from my Lover, blinded, as I am by my many limitations. However, He reveals a way-of-escape for me before the my burdens crush me.

It is an escape route that allows me to navigate away from the tempting, beckoning arms of sin  and idolatry, a path He illuminates through the darkness of revenge and unforgiveness.

The humble do not disregard the lessons of the past. They know that they too are not in control and are vulnerable and must depend prayerfully on the guidance of our Lord at every turn. 

No comments: