Sunday, September 10, 2017

SHAMING: HOW THE GAME IS PLAYED





Here is just a small sample of the intolerance and degradation the Christian now faces in Western culture. I responded to an article posted in Facebook about a transgendered youth who took his life. I wrote followed by the responses:

·       Our choices profoundly impact our lives. If I choose to shoot heroin, play Russian-Roulette, or live as a sadist, these choices will profoundly impact my psychological and physical well-being. This also pertains to the choice of a youth to live transgendered.

·       RESPONDENT: I don't think there is evidence that it's a choice.

·       Me: Why then are we seeing many today making the choice to become transgendered? Admittedly, there are also other things involved.

·       RESPONDENT: My guess is that more people feel safe living in a way that used to be heavily stigmatized. Again, people don't describe it as a choice, generally.

·       Me: Nevertheless, we are not robots. We do make choices.

·       RESPONDENT: I am trans, and my life is fine. What the hell are you even talking about?...I never chose any part of my gender or sexuality, it's just who I am. I imagine it's the same for trans folks.

·       Me: Every day, I make choices about my conduct. To treat you any less than a freewill agent is to demean who you are.

·       RESPONDENT: [You are] only here to insult and harm, not make an argument.

·       Me: Because I differ with you, must you demean me with name-calling. How do you know what my motives are? How can you say "He's only here to insult and harm?"

·       Me: …I am very aware of the argumentation, but it doesn't stand up against the reality of a 40% suicide attempt rate among the transgendered. In light of this, if I care, I will not go along with the crowd and indulge and celebrate this choice. Instead, I will try to reason. I am not denying that the transgendered have endured a lot of angst. Nor do I want to be discompassionate. I just want to say that there are other more helpful choices to make. I had suffered with debilitating depression and panic attacks for decades, and so I know pain and even suicidal ideation. I am not uncaring as you portray me to be.

·       RESPONDENT: Oh, to hell with you. I have to go to work, and you aren't even making an argument. You aren't worth the time.

·       Another Respondent: Daniel - The transgender community has and continues to endure OPPRESSION not angst. The fact that you chose angst to describe the oppression of trans people is enough for me to describe you as bigoted let alone everything else you are saying in this thread.

I have provided this dialogue so that you will be prepared and not bolt at the opposition, which is growing more intense, and that you would remember the words of Scripture:

·       Let no corrupting talk come out of your mouths, but only such as is good for building up, as fits the occasion, that it may give grace to those who hear. And do not grieve the Holy Spirit of God, by whom you were sealed for the day of redemption. Let all bitterness and wrath and anger and clamor and slander be put away from you, along with all malice. Be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, as God in Christ forgave you. (Ephesians 4:29-32; ESV)

No comments: