Friday, December 10, 2021

GIVING GOD THANKS AMID SUFFERING

 


 

I just returned from a 3-alarm fire 2-3 blocks away from where we live. It had been terrifying to see this in my own neighborhood. However, after it was subdued, I wanted to tell the firemen that I really appreciated them but could not do so with the tears of gratefulness in my eyes.
 
Suddenly, I felt part of the community and connected to others. A couple of hours later, I returned to survey the damage. It was a joy to be able to talk to my neighbors. Had I approached them on an ordinary day, they would have wondered, "What does he want?"
 
Tragedy brings us together and connects us. We need tragedy in our lives, even the prospect of death, a fate common to all of us.
 
The skeptic accuses, “If God is all-benevolent and all-powerful, why couldn’t he have created a better world without suffering?” I am convinced that the better world requires suffering. Without consequences, it seems that we become no more than please-seekers, and others become no more than tools to serve our pleasures.
 
I certainly do not understand everything that God does – far from it – but this should not stop us from giving Him the thanks He deserves.

No comments: