Wednesday, July 24, 2019

CONTEMPLATIVE MYSTICISM AND A MIND AT REST




Mystics tend to substitute mystical experience for the Word of God. While they might seek wisdom, their search tends to exclude the wisdom of the Word. Sometimes they even reject it.

Thomas Merton, the late contemplative mystic, observed that many Christians fail to fathom the love of God. However, he attributed this failure to their adherence to a “sphinx-like arbitrary force,” which he seemed to associate with the Scriptures. Instead, he proposed that we can know God through nature, and even life itself:

  • How am I to know the will of God?...the very nature of each situation usually bears written into itself some indication of God’s will. (New Seeds of Contemplation)

Merton was correct. God’s creation, including our conscience, heart, and mind convey His wisdom (Proverbs 1:20-30; Romans 2:14-16). However, apart from having the Spirit and the Scriptures, we inevitably misinterpret or reject His revelation of nature. Why? Because we would rather think comforting thoughts about ourselves than correct thoughts! As Jesus had taught, we prefer the darkness to the light of truth:

  • “And this is the judgment: the light has come into the world, and people loved the darkness rather than the light because their works were evil. For everyone who does wicked things hates the light and does not come to the light, lest his works should be exposed.” (John 3:19-20 ESV)

Why do we gravitate towards the darkness? Because we can hide in the darkness and not face the truth about ourselves! Before I was saved, I too had a conscience, telling me, “You sinned and are condemned.” However, it was too painful to face this fact and to seek the forgiveness of the Lord. Instead, I clothed myself in darkness, rationalized my sins, and convinced myself that my sins were the fault of others. It didn’t matter how long that my conscience screamed at me, I stubbornly refused to listen, preferring self-delusion to sincere confession.

I became tormented by my internal struggle, and peace-of-mind eluded me until the Spirit, working through the Scriptures, convinced me of my absolute need to confess my sins.

With the internal conflict resolved, my mind is at peace, like a quiet mountain lake, reflecting the unruffled image of the surrounding trees. This is part of the freedom that Jesus had promised us (John 8:31-32). It is the assurance of His steadfast love that enables us to remain in the light of His scrutiny.

No comments: