Wednesday, December 6, 2017

PRAYER





Am I an angry person? Perhaps I am, but I don’t want to be an angry person. It’s just not becoming. It makes me seem that I’ve got a chip on my shoulder, even worse, that I am lifting myself up by demeaning others. I would rather be a humble and gracious person, one that others can affirm and invite to their parties.

Is anger self-righteous? It says that I am right and others are wrong. How distasteful, right? But judges also say that others are wrong, and so does our legal system. That’s their job. Jesus even got angry and denounced the religious leadership, even His own disciples. Surely, His anger and judgments served the cause of love. And then there were the Prophets of Israel. They came bearing no complementary words for their people. Neither did Jesus.

How then am I to be for You, my Savior? A comforter or an accuser? Perhaps both! How do I know which? I don’t think that there is any easy formula. Instead:

Proverbs 3:3-7 Let not steadfast love and faithfulness forsake you; bind them around your neck; write them on the tablet of your heart. So you will find favor and good success in the sight of God and man. Trust in the LORD with all your heart, and do not lean on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make straight your paths. Be not wise in your own eyes; fear the LORD, and turn away from evil.

No comments: