Thursday, December 7, 2017

REAL FREEDOM


A meditation practitioner wrote in to a meditation Facebook group in despair. He confessed that he just wasn’t getting anywhere. A number responded with what they thought were helpful suggestions, like:

·       Read the yoga sutras if you want a clear explanation of the point of meditation and doing good unconditionally. Follow the directions diligently. Have patience. It will come and the point will be made very clear.

While it does feel good to do good, this attempt also exposes how far we fall short of our goal. Another wrote: “Perhaps the "trying" is gettin in the way of the doing.” However, meditation is hard work and requires persistence. How then could anyone persist without “trying?”

Another suggested that he “drop all expectations.” However, without positive expectations, no one would persist.

Reading these various bits of well-meaning advice makes me grateful for Jesus, who has made something very clear to me – “Without Me, you can do nothing” (John 15:4-5). I therefore responded:

·       I learned that I was unable to work my way up to God through either my goodness, mind control, or right thinking. Instead, God had to come down to rescue for pathetic me. To believe that I could make myself worthy of God or Divine consciousness meant that I had to retreat into denial and self-delusion about my true status. Assured of Christ’s love and protection, I can now face the uncomfortable truth about myself and my unworthiness. Now that’s freedom!

No comments: