Tuesday, April 24, 2018

FEAR, ANXIETY, AND AGING




We face increasing problems as we age. Sometimes, I awake gripped with fears about my physical deterioration. This causes me to recall Paul’s words:

  • Not that I am speaking of being in need, for I have learned in whatever situation I am to be content. I know how to be brought low, and I know how to abound. In any and every circumstance, I have learned the secret of facing plenty and hunger, abundance and need. (Philippians 4:11-12)
What was Paul’s secret? He tells us earlier:

·       “...do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. (Philippians 4:6-7)

I have found that in order to trust in God, I have to first distrust my own ability to handle my problems. However, we tend to be like the mountain climber who slips off the cliff but catches a branch in his fall. He cries out, “Is there anyone who can help me?” God answers, “Just let go, and I will catch you.” The climber cries out again, “Is there anyone else who can help me?” It is only when we understand that God is our only hope that we will truly trust in Him.

However, Paul didn’t stop there. He then counseled that we too have a role to play - to meditate on the hope offered in the Scriptures. He then added:

  • What you have learned and received and heard and seen in me—practice these things, and the God of peace will be with you. (Philippians 4:9)
What things was Paul referring to? It is safe to assume that he was referring to a life wholly committed to Christ:

  • “But seek first the kingdom of God and his righteousness, and all these things will be added to you. Therefore do not be anxious about tomorrow, for tomorrow will be anxious for itself. Sufficient for the day is its own trouble.” (Matthew 6:33-34)
Jesus’ teaching suggests that that fear and anxiousness can be counteracted only after we give everything to our Savior. It doesn’t seem reasonable that we should expect that we can give all of our anxiety to Him unless we have first given all of our lives to Him.

I know that this sounds too demanding for us to implement. We fall short of this requirement every day. However, this is why He has given us the assurance that if we confess our sins, He is faithful to both forgive and to cleanse us from all of our sins and failures, giving us a fresh start (1 John 1:9).

What does trusting God entail? It first entails knowing the One whom we intend to trust. Is He trustworthy, and is He willing and able to deliver? It helps me to recall how He has delivered me in the past along with His blessed promises.

Once we conclude that He is trustworthy, then it is just a matter of our decision to trust. Don’t worry about what you feel. God is the Master of our emotional storms. (I am also preaching to myself now!)


No comments: