Wednesday, August 1, 2018

FRIENDSHIP WITH THE WORLD




How are we to serve our Savior? By regarding faithfulness to Him above all else (Matthew 6:33):

  • “Anyone who loves their father or mother more than me is not worthy of me; anyone who loves their son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me. Whoever does not take up their cross and follow me is not worthy of me.” (Matthew 10:37-38)

How do we love Jesus above our own family? It is not a matter of feelings. Instead, Scripture consistently informs us that to love Jesus is to love His words and commands (John 14:21-24) to abide in His Word (John 15:7-14). It is to put obedience to Him above any other concern.

However, compromise is rampant in our churches, even as we continue to proclaim our faithfulness to our Savior and to His Word. The churches no longer speak against the sins of compromise. They remain silent as Darwinism dictates a new Christian worldview, as the Biblical teachings on sexual purity are replaced by sexual perversion, as the desire for holiness succumbs to the pursuit of prosperity, and as Biblical teachings are rejected in favor of techniques to experience God. However, to embrace the evil of this world is to reject God:

  • You adulterous people, don’t you know that friendship with the world means enmity against God? Therefore, anyone who chooses to be a friend of the world becomes an enemy of God. Or do you think Scripture says without reason that he jealously longs for the spirit he has caused to dwell in us? But he gives us more grace. That is why Scripture says: “God opposes the proud but shows favor to the humble.” (James 4:4-6)

To embrace this world’s evil is to harden ourselves against the truth. This is the fruit of pride and the rejection of the “fear of the Lord.” It is a hardness that says, “I’ve got what it takes to live as I want.”

Our churches must examine themselves - their pride, blindness, and false hope and repent. They must heed the Letter to the Church at Laodicea:

  • “I know your deeds, that you are neither cold nor hot. I wish you were either one or the other! So, because you are lukewarm—neither hot nor cold—I am about to spit you out of my mouth. You say, ‘I am rich; I have acquired wealth and do not need a thing.’ But you do not realize that you are wretched, pitiful, poor, blind and naked.” (Revelation 3:15-17)

Let us pray that our Lord will grant us the light to see our nakedness and blindness and repent.

No comments: