Saturday, August 18, 2018

TO BE DOERS OF THE WORD, THE LAW OF LIBERTY





I need continual reminders that I am sustained by of the grace of God. Otherwise, I begin to take the Gospel for granted. It’s the Word of God that provides this reminder. How? One way the Word performs its task is through the New Testament law, the moral teachings of Jesus and His Apostles, the Law of Liberty:

·       For whoever keeps the whole law but fails in one point has become accountable for all of it. For he who said, “Do not commit adultery,” also said, “Do not murder.” If you do not commit adultery but do murder, you have become a transgressor of the law. So speak and so act as those who are to be judged under the law of liberty. For judgment is without mercy to one who has shown no mercy. Mercy triumphs over judgment. (James 2:10-13 ESV)

Ordinarily, the Law kills, even when we mess-up only once, but when accompanied by the grace of forgiveness, it provides the instruction that I need. It teaches me to not be too quick to judge, because God is not quick to judge me for our many failures to keep this Law. In fact, grace removes all condemnation (Romans 8:1) It also reminds me of the grace which enables us to stand confidently before God and a world that hates the light.

The Law reminds us who we are and our need for the Savior. Therefore James warned that we have to be doers of this Law:

·       But be doers of the word, and not hearers only, deceiving yourselves. For if anyone is a hearer of the word and not a doer, he is like a man who looks intently at his natural face in a mirror. For he looks at himself and goes away and at once forgets what he was like. But the one who looks into the perfect law, the law of liberty, and perseveres, being no hearer who forgets but a doer who acts, he will be blessed in his doing. James 1:22-25 (ESV)

If we persevere in doing the Law, we will continue to see who we really are. How? The Law serves as a mirror showing us ourselves, our faults, and our continual need for His mercy.

I have a tendency to become unforgiving of my wife. However, the Law graciously reminds me that I have no right to withhold forgiveness. It beckons me to hold up its mirror to show me who I am and humbles me.

If we walk away from the Law, we will forget about our need for mercy. We forget about our moral failures and also the One who paid the price for them. Instead of gratefulness for our Savior, we become hardened to Him and to others. The Law of Liberty is a vital part of our training.

No comments: