Thursday, August 2, 2018

IN CONVERSATION WITH A BUDDHIST




Thanks for your exposition and links regarding hope in Buddhism. Actually, I have a lot of respect for the Dharma, the moral law taught by Gautama, as it closely approximates our human nature and what we need to thrive and to experience peace. To live according to our God-given moral nature is like walking in a well-trodden path rather than hacking our way through a jungle.

However, I would suspect that you and the Stoics place too much hope in living according the Dharma. Why? Because life is also filled with pain, injustice, and disappointment with our own moral performance and so much of the garbage we find within ourselves.

I had been broken by my moral failures. I could only find relief in the confidence that I am loved from Above by a God who will NEVER leave me despite my many failures and undeniable unworthiness.

This understanding has humbled me and taught me compassion for my fellow struggling companions, more than all the “virtuous” living might have done.

No comments: