Tuesday, August 14, 2018

IS IT ARROGANT TO BELIEVE THAT WE HAVE A SPECIAL PLACE IN GOD’S HEART?




The late and much esteemed atheist, Christopher Hitchens, never hid his contempt for religion:

  • “I suppose that one reason I have always detested religion is its sly tendency to insinuate the idea that the universe is designed with 'you' in mind or, even worse, that there is a divine plan into which one fits whether one knows it or not. This kind of modesty is too arrogant for me.” (“Hitch 22: A Memoir”)

Well, perhaps the universe was designed with us in mind. To believe so is no more arrogant than saying, “My wife loves me above all other men.” Besides, I like the idea that the universe was created with me in mind, more so than if it had my turtle in mind.

Is this a matter of arrogance? Of all people, I’m surprised that Hitchens would demonstrate such contempt against this questionable “display” of arrogance. I didn’t invent the idea that humanity is God’s greatest and most beloved creation. However, I must admit that this revelation of God’s love fills me with gratefulness.

No comments: